The purpose of the Equity & Justice Network Summer Institute is to provide rising juniors and seniors from three Historically Black Colleges and Universities an intensive introduction to the scholarly opportunities at the School of Human Ecology at UW–Madison.
The Summer institute is part of the School of Human Ecology Equity & Justice Network, an initiative that supports the continued evolution of our school into a community wherein people with diverse backgrounds find success, share knowledge, and advance justice.
2022 Summer Institute
For the inaugural Institute, student participants were nominated by a faculty member from UW–Madison School of Human Ecology or one of our partner institutions:
- Elizabeth City State University
- Johnson C. Smith University
- North Carolina A&T University
Airfare, a stipend, lodging, meals, and program costs were covered for those accepted to the Summer Institute. Participating students received a graduate school application waiver to be used in 2022 or 2023 (applications to SoHE graduate programs [PDF] only).
- Introduction to the School of Human Ecology graduate program and individual departments
- Department, research lab, and studio tours
- Graduate student meet & greet
- Why pursue a graduate degree?
- Writing your research statement
- Identifying your research interests statements
- Making the most of your graduate school education
- Paying for graduate school
- Field trips
- Research site visit in Waukesha (Nia Project)
- Milwaukee: Sherman Phoenix, Victory Garden Initiative
- Campus walking lecture: Land, Loss, and Legacy: American Indians and the University of Wisconsin
- Graduate alumni networking