“But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
I am a pediatrician working in the public interest. I blend the roles of physician, occasional children’s librarian, educator, public health professional, and child health advocate. I cherish and treasure the opportunity to take research, data, and expert opinion on child-and-family-facing topics and interpret, apply, and advocate for a better world for children and their families – and to teach others how to do the same, irrespective of their professional training or interests. It’s not about our silos; it’s about kids and the environments they inhabit – and dreaming of a world where each and every one of them thrive and flourish, no matter where or who they are.
Image courtesy of UWSMPH Media Solutions.
Selected publications include:
Radesky J, Chassiakos YLR, Ameenuddin N, Navsaria D. Digital Advertising to Children Policy Statement. American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Communication and Media. Pediatrics 2020 Jul; 146(1): e20201681. Doi: 10.1542/peds.2020–1681.
Burton HL and Navsaria D. Evaluating the Effect of Reach Out and Read on Clinic Values, Attitudes, and Knowledge. WMJ 2019 Dec; 118(4):17181.
Doyle, S., Chavez, S., Cohen, S., and Morrison, S. Fostering Social and Emotional Health through Pediatric Primary Care: Common Threads to Transform Practice and Systems. Center for the Study of Social Policy, September 2019. Available at:
https://CSSP.org/resource/psp- program-analysis-report/. (Contributing author.)
Williams PG and Lerner MA. School Readiness Technical Report. American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Early Childhood and Council on School Health. Pediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20191766; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019–1766 (Reviewing Author)
Hagan JH, Navsaria D. Maximizing Children’s Health: Screening, Anticipatory Guidance, and Counseling. Chapter in Nelson’s Pediatrics, 21st Edition. Elsevier, 2019.
- Human Development & Family Studies
- Associate Professor (CHS) of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Medical Director, University of Wisconsin–Madison Physician Assistant Program Affiliate Faculty:
- UW Information School
- UW Department of Population Health Sciences
- Institute for Research on Poverty
- UW Teaching Academy
- MD, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana, 2005
- Post-graduate Training in Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin Hosptial and Clinics, 2009
- MS in Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2004
- MS in Physician Assistant Studies, The George Washington University, 1998
- MPH in Maternal-Child Health, Boston University, 1994
- BA in English and Biology, Boston University, 1990
Office: 4113 Nancy Nicholas Hall